Saturday, October 30, 2010

10.30.10 – Frankfort, Kentucky


I had planned to go to Frankfort, Kentucky (the state capital for those who don’t know) last Sunday, but it needed to be rescheduled for this Saturday. Early on, I discovered Mapquest is not very helpful when there are detours, but thanks to a librarian who could draw, but didn’t know any street names, and a few trick or treaters (they were trick or treating early in downtown Frankfort) I was able to meet my friend, Judith, at the state capital. Unfortunately none of the doors to the capital were open, even though the Frankfort website said there were weekend tours. Not a good sign, but it was a lovely, if windy, day. Families and their pets were enjoying the grounds, which reminded me of the some of the gardens at castles I visited years ago in Denmark.

More to take advantage of a much-needed restroom break, we went on the Rebecca Ruth Candy factory tour, which was less than a half-mile a way. I, of course, bought an excessive amount of chocolate, which I am eating right now. There is a help wanted sign in the window, if anyone is interested, and their chocolate is really good.

We then stopped at the only Frank Lloyd Wright house in Kentucky (it unfortunately is a private residence and not open for tours). I didn’t even know there was one. I have always loved his architecture, but with all my clutter, knew I could never live in one of his homes. As I stood, first across the street, and then, getting up my courage, on the sidewalk taking pictures with both my FLIP and my digital still camera, I realized another reason why I wouldn’t want to live in one of his homes or nearby. Luckily no one came out or yelled at me. Judith stayed safely in the car.

After passing way too many Rand Paul signs, we had lunch in the Kentucky Coffeetree Café, where they were airing the Rally to Restore Sanity on the big screen and to a packed house. It was a relief to know there are still sane people in the state.

Television westerns were very popular in syndication when I was young, and I remembered loving the Daniel Boone style hat. Thankfully my pleas for one went unanswered. I would hate to have that picture lurking around. Still, it did seem a good idea to stop at Daniel Boone’s grave while in the area. I was taken by both the interesting trees nearby and the palatial view he has in his final resting spot.

We attempted to stop at the Kentucky Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial, but the GPS took us to the correctional facility. Neither of us wanted to enter the jail compound, especially with inmates playing basketball (in a gated area) nearby. That can wait for another trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment