Thursday, October 7, 2010

10.7.10 – Dayton, Ohio


Recently a friend commented that she may be "too far gone" for liking a certain sci-fi gadget. I realized I was too far gone last night after staying up past midnight trying to decide if I should go to Pittsburgh today (almost 300 miles away one-way) in order to see a movie. The Harris Theater in downtown Pittsburgh was showing Akira Kurosawa's Ran, which was also a 25th anniversary print. It took me a long time to get to sleep debating going or not. In the end I decided to skip the movie and plan a trip to Pittsburgh later in the month or next when there's shows at both the Andy Warhol Museum and the Carnegie Art Museum that I want to see.

Still, I needed to escape for a little while today, and happened to notice recently an interesting exhibit that is about to close this weekend at the Dayton Art Institute, so that's where I was this morning. It was an exhibit of "Modern Masters" from the Smithsonian American Art Museum. While part of me still wishes I would have gone to see Ran, I did love the exhibit and discovered a few artists I wasn't aware of, so a good trip and short enough (55 miles one-way) to ease my body into traveling mode.

If you're in the Greater Cincinnati area, check out the "Modern Masters" exhibit in Dayton before it closes. Also, if you know what the beer bottle tops were about in the sculpture garden, please explain that to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for a fresh new blog! And a new project, getting out and about.
    I too know well that the things that get us out of a rut can become a rut themselves.

    Looking forward to following your travels.

    (I like the beer bottle caps---are they an art installation? Or just leftovers from a party?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fresca, and thanks for following me. I'm hoping this adds some freshness, that is much needed. For some reason I didn't get a notice that I received a comment (and didn't notice myself, so sorry for the delay).

    I'm assuming that the beer bootle caps are an installation, but I couldn't find a title anywhere. I just can't imagine the grounds people leaving them there. The light did look very cool around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries about a delay in comment reply.
    I used to be so on top of replying to comments but lately have lagged a lot. Long-term blogging has its ebbs and flows.

    ReplyDelete