Sunday, November 14, 2010

11.13.10 – Augusta, Kentucky


Things got in the way last week, but I decided to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather for a drive in the country today. I also finally acquired a GPS, so hopefully I will never be lost again, although I may be more annoyed. A test trip last week proved the system likes to get you off the highway an exit sooner than you really should. When I chose to stay on the highway, I heard what sounded almost like a sigh come from the system before it said, "recalculating." I think what I like best about it so far is that it shows me that I am indeed going the right way, which my self doubts often have been the cause of me getting very lost. If only there were a system to let you know you are going the right way in your life and relationships.

Anyway, Augusta is a lovely river town about an hour southeast of Cincinnati. The GPS had me go through Ohio and then take the ferry over to Augusta, which made the trip seem really like a voyage. The free and easy parking, and shops and attractions, all within walking distance, make it a great day trip. I stopped off at the visitors' center, which is located in a converted train car and offers terrific river views. After seeing the word "fried" used way too many times on the recommended restaurant's menu (yes, I know I'm in the South), I instead stopped at the General Store, which allowed me to have pancakes (I could eat breakfast for all three meals) and admire their holiday decorations. Augusta is the home of Kentucky's oldest jail, which was news to me. It's probably better known for the Clooney connection -- Nick and Nina Clooney (George's parents and Nick was Rosemary's brother) live in Augusta. Nina also has a shop and I even saw her walking down Main Street today (no, I did not bother her). Before she died, Rosemary bought a riverside home here, which has been converted into a museum by Heather French, the former Miss Kentucky and Miss America, who is an Augusta native.

Still, the Ohio River was never out of my eye line for very long. Driving there and back it was constantly on my side and it was quite tempting to stay seated the rest of the afternoon and watch the water flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment