Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Impermanence


I worked as a fundraiser for an art college for six-too-long years. The school's older building was adjacent to the Cincinnati Art Museum. The school moved its operation to a downtown facility in 2005 (I'd spent half my time while employed there raising money for that move), and it was expected that the Art Museum would take the older building and do something with it. The economy delayed this project and I'd become used to seeing the building as I made the turn into the parking lot to visit the Museum. Even reading about the construction about to take place in the Museum's magazine didn't prepare me for seeing what appeared to be ruins upon my recent visit.

I suppose I just assumed the Museum would re-open long closed doors that led from the Museum to the school and re-design the interior. I was not expecting the roof to be removed and the whole interior to be gutted. Being a staffer at a very unpleasant time certainly didn't make the Academy my home, but it still felt like some part of my past had been removed. It was very unnerving.

No comments:

Post a Comment