Saturday, November 20, 2010

11.20.10 – Loveland, Ohio


I had to do some work this morning, which cut into travel plans, but there’s always something interesting close to home if you look. I went out to Loveland, Ohio this afternoon, home to Chateau Laroche, a handmade castle built by one extremely obsessed man. Many of the rocks were found along the Ohio River, but others were given to him by visitors who heard his story. I visited the castle years ago in college, while taking an architectural history course. It’s still both bizarre and magical. When I visited Denmark in 2003 I overdosed on castles, so much so that when I next went to London, I just couldn’t bear one more. Enough time has clearly passed, and this one is much smaller.

Next I visited Grailville, which is a retreat center nearby. I’ve always heard about it, but never had a reason to go. I learned they had a labyrinth, which I thought might be fun to walk. Of course with my bad sense of direction I thought for certain I had made a wrong turn, as it seemed to take me forever, but it was worth it to get to the center. It, and the brief bit of nice weather, inspired me to do a bit of whirling dervish. I still feel a little dizzy.

I had thought about a longer trip next weekend, but with all the crazy people going, mostly unhappily, to their families and back, I’m thinking it will be safer to stay indoors with the stack of DVDs I checked out from the library and plan something the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment