Thursday, October 18, 2012

October 9, 2012 -- Washington, D. C.

I hadn't been to D. C. since the last Democratic president was in office, so I was excited to go back. We decided to spend a few days in D. C. while in the area. After driving up to our Arlington hotel we took a short trip on the Metro, got a quick snack on the Mall, then began walking, and I do mean walking. I had forgotten how few and far between the Metro stops in D. C. were and how much walking you need to do to get to where you're going.

I ended up taking more still shots than video. I'm not quite sure why, but glad of it. There is a definite excitement there, even with all the bad politicians.

I filmed a bit on the Smithsonian Mall, taking in the carousel and the Hirshhorn sculpture garden before we spent the bulk of the afternoon at the International Spy Museum (no video or photography allowed, so you'll have to go yourself). It was very cool, but could have used more sitting areas. I keep forgetting about my back issues when we travel. Mostly it hasn't been a problem when we've been away, but we hadn't walked this much before. After having a lovely dinner with Kent's sister at Aria we attempted to make it to the Lincoln Memorial. The Washington Monument blinked out its lights to try to guide me in, but half-way down the reflecting pool I could go no further. I probably should have tried hailing a cab, but martyred myself to the walk back to the subway stop and then a steaming hot bath after much pain killers.

No comments:

Post a Comment