Tuesday, August 23, 2011

8.9.11 – London!!!!!!!!!!


Oh, glorious day, and it was! No rain in London! We had a bit of a bumpy start getting up at before the crack of dawn, me still being upset from yesterday, and someone with a medical issue that had to be taken off our EasyJet flight from Glasgow to London, but we got there. This was the first day I really felt I could breathe. I'm not sure whether it was the somewhat familiar territory (although I was only there for a week in 2003) or just my love of London.

We had been a bit concerned when the riots broke out after we arrived in Scotland, but I felt (and hoped) that the troubles would be far north of us, and thankfully the only notice we had that something was going on was the barricades at the House of Parliament and Downing Street (with a crowd of onlookers), heavy police presence, and all the police paddywagons that kept going by filled with unhappy people.

Originally I had thought we could make it to Greenwich or Kew Gardens, but Kent had never been to London and wanted to take in the city, which I had no problem with, although I do really want to see Kew when its in bloom someday soon. We started in Westminster and then wound our way to Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, and then South Bank to get some better shots of the London Eye, and then back to Westminster, crossing the Thames, before sadly going back to Luton for our plane. Apparently the bagpiper was piping for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment