Friday, July 13, 2012

Letting Go

Off and on during the years I've come close to becoming a crazy old lady. When I was in my twenties I saved what seemed like every newspaper and magazine in my possession until my surroundings were nearly a fire hazard. In my thirties, with a larger place, I started buying more and more furniture and increased my knick-knacks more than 100 fold. My taste continued to change, but I still couldn't get rid of the old to make way for the new. I'm sure a psychologist would point to my growing up poor as to why I have an overwhelming need to hoard (thankfully I haven't gotten as bad as those on reality television shows).

I've tried over and over again to let go, yet it all seems to multiply again when I'm not looking. I've gotten to the point that I don't even know where to begin, but begin I must. I'd like to take Leo Babauta's advice and get rid of five things a day. Somehow I don't think that will be happening. Maybe a few things...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for introducing me to Leo Babauta here! I LOVE his statement on going copyright-free:
    http://zenhabits.net/open-source-blogging-feel-free-to-steal-my-content
    --I've not been in the blogosphere much at all--part of an unintentional simplification... Just focusing on my new (3+ months now) job as a nursing assistant. Nice to be PHYSICAL, but I started to miss making stuff (i.e. being creative) so I may try some moviemaking again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like his blog too, but often don't have the time to keep up with it (maybe my own unintentional simplification).

      Congratulations on the new job. I hope it goes well for you.

      I'm trying to be more creative, but I seem to be allowing things to get in the way. I was writing more, but then got stuck, so started back somewhat on the blog. I keep thinking I need more dedication, but part of me feels that's so not creative. I must change my thought patterns!

      Good to hear from you, Fresca.

      Delete